Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Blah blah...

I seriously have no motivation so far this week, and that's not good. I have a boatload of stuff to do. I don't know if it's because I'm by myself at work now. Or if I've hit that final point in the project where I am just done mentally with this one and ready to go to the next one. Or if it's just me for no particular reason being unmotivated. Whatever the case, it makes for a long day. And it's going to make for some mayhem here shortly.

So here's the lowdown. My project is basically done. We're doing final testing of the mechanical systems now, which means all of 4 people are on site. There's nothing I have to do with them, just be here in case something goes wrong and I need to yell at people. Which is pretty much all that's been happening the last week or so. I think - I hope! - we're past all that and on to finishing up. Regardless, I'm pulling off the site on Friday of next week, and not returning unless I have to. Which means working from home. Perhaps this thought is why I'm so not motivated. The thought of not having to drive an hour and fifteen minutes twice a day is quite nice.

In the meantime, I have paperwork. And more paperwork. My running joke in the 4-1/2 years I've been at Fort Lewis is that the Corps couldn't care less if the building gets built, as long as the paperwork says it was. We can spend 6 months building, and 9 months on paperwork, and they don't see why people get annoyed with this. Anyway, I get to spend the next few weeks working on operation and maintenance mauals, making sure they are organized and on correct color of white paper (I'm not joking on that one) so they can be left in a basement where no one will ever look at them again (sadly, not joking on that one either). Because they also get a CD copy. Nothing like killing a forest so someone can justify their job. This is mainly why I'm not motivated. I have a hard time working on something I know is completely stupid. Such is life. I'll do it tomorrow. Or the next day. :-)

I am flying to North Carolina on October 17th for a couple of days of meetings. That is apparently when I find out when exactly I have to be there permanently for the project. Our schedule shows us breaking ground mid-December. But by the letter of the law/contract, I'm supposed to be on site as soon as we're told to go by the Corps. Even if we're not breaking ground for 3 months. So, it will boil down to how strict this Corps team is. I may be getting back from NC on the 20th, packing up my truck over the weekend, and hopping on the road really quickly. I'm not thrilled at this prospect, as I wanted a couple of weeks off to get some stuff done around the house. If/when I sell my house, and I'm in NC, that's going to be one crazy time of coming home to pack, find a place to live, and move. Probably in a 4 day time frame. I'd rather get some packing done now in anticipation of moving. We'll see what happens.

Speaking of moving - 11 days. Eleven days till I get rid of my useless realtor. Surprisingly, I haven't heard a peep from her since I told her she needed to do a better job at doing her job. I thought about going ahead and starting to scout for a new one. But I fear my current one will find some way to get back at me. So I'm patiently waiting out my 11 days. I spent the weekend working on some stuff around the house that I know would come up on an inspection. Well, at least an inspection by a competent inspector. You never know these days. I still have some stuff I could do to spruce the place up, but I really don't want to spend any more money. So I'm going to wait till I sign on a new realtor and see what they think. Some day I'll get rid of this thing.

I need to sell my house not just because I need to sell it, but because I spend more time in Seattle these days than I do at home. It gets old getting home at 1 or 2 in the morning because I had to drive the hour and half after whatever it was I was doing. Or end up staying at someone's house because I ended up over there too late. Or even get pulled over because I was driving all crazy trying to get around these stupid WA drivers who think the right lane is theirs to camp out in. That was not a fun experience. I was lucky I didn't get asked to get out of the truck because I was arguing with the cop. I was tired, and the Red Sox had lost. I was bummed. :-) The only thing that saved me I think was another cop had just done what I was pulled over for. So my cop couldn't get around that one and give me a ticket. Phew! I've had enough of those this year....

Other than that, I can't think of anything else to write about to kill time. Which I guess is fine. It's 3:00, which means it's almost time to go home! Maybe I'll be more motivated tomorrow. Or maybe I'll see what I can watch on Hulu... :-). No, I need to find a place to live in NC. I called an extended stay hotel there, to check on costs. We were thinking that might be the best plan. Holy bessie, that was expensive! So I think I'll be doing a furnished apartment. And my project manager apparently knew how to make me really excited about coming out there when he told me Fayetteville is your typical military town of mostly questionable places to live, with a couple of nice ones. GREAT! So excited. So on my trip out there in a couple of weeks I'm looking for places to live in the TWO nice areas. Can't wait!

Anyway, off I go to make sure my subs have left, so I can leave!! One more day down, eight to go till I'm not regularly driving to Fort Lewis again for at least a year. Craziness!!

No comments: