Thursday, October 27, 2011

Musings...

I have 3-1/2 more days till I leave for North Carolina. I'm pretty much ready to go, which is nice. My front room is currently acting as a catch-all place for what's going with me, and it's quite a pile. I've packed what I consider the bare essentials to live for a year, and it's going to take up a good portion of my truck bed. Then I have a whole other pile of work stuff in boxes. It's getting shipped, whether by PM likes it or not. There's nothing in this transfer deal saying I have to transport all their crap for them so they can save a couple hundred bucks on shipping. Plus, I don't want to overload the truck. I'm already nervous about towing a trailer out when the weather is starting to turn. I don't need the added stress of wondering if my truck will make it up the steep mountains I'm about to traverse.

In other news, I'm still contemplating what to do about the house. I'm trying to see if taking out a $20k loan is even an option, even if it's not the one I want to do. So I called Bank of America this morning to see if I can get the money it says I have available on my student loan credit line. In one of the funniest excuses I've ever heard, the lady said "Sorry, due to economic times we cannot loan out any money on these types of loans." I seriously laughed at her. I asked her if that was due to my economic times, or BofA's economic times. After a pause, she just repeated her statement. I took that as she agreed with me, but couldn't say it. The second largest bank in the country, who took our tax money to "save the bank", then used that tax money to pay off their executives for assisting in crashing our economy, isn't giving me the money due to "tough economic times". Nevermind she agreed I was fully qualified to get it. Oh, but I can call for a credit card. Let's see, a set interest rate that can't change, versus a moving interest rate that they can change if I sneeze in the wrong direction.... Who out there still thinks the banks aren't running this country? Here's a scary story on our banks:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/10/25/why-occupy-wall-street-hates-the-big-banks.html

I have discovered this week that morning tv really has nothing to offer. I do have to say the show Still Standing is hilarious. I wish I had paid attention to it when it was actually on, though re-runs are still good. I do find it funny that the commercials are aimed at stay at home mom's on some channels, and at old people on others. I find it funnier that I watch the shows on channels that aim to old people. Should I read into this...?

Perhaps the fact I received a piece of mail last week from a company selling funeral services should tell me something. Then again, I have been receiving AARP mail since I was in high school.

Anyway, I had a thought while running through the airport last week on my trip back from North Carolina. On my flight from Raleigh, we boarded the plane on time, then sat on the tarmac for 45 minutes in perfectly good weather. No explanation. We somehow still managed to land on time in Atlanta, but then sat on the tarmac there for 20 minutes. No reason given. Then, to top it off, we parked at the very end of the E terminal. And where was my connecting flight, you ask? The very end of A terminal. Fun, huh? Fortunately there's a tram between terminals, and my flight was running a touch late. I had 20 minutes to cover what felt like two miles by foot, with a tram ride in between. So it got me thinking - they need to have walking lanes in the airport. The outside one for slow people who have all day to mosey through the airport. A middle one for people who want to get to their gate, but aren't in a huge hurry. And an third lane for people who are runing through the airport because they are about to miss their frickin plane! And there should be drunk walking tickets for those people who think that all 50 feet wide of the terminal is theirs to traverse without watching who they are getting in the way of as they are running to their gate. Just a thought.

I'm sure this will become more "normal" for me in the next few months as I traverse the country every few weeks. On that trip alone, I racked up 5,000 frequent flier miles. At 25k, you start getting the option to upgrade to 1st class. Fun times!!

Anyway, I'm dilly-dallying so I don't have to do any of the stuff on my list today. I'm so ready for a break. I suppose I should go shower and start doing my errands. Yes, it's 12:12 and I have not showered. I'm sort of on vacation, I'm allowed to do that :-).

No comments: