This story is too stupid to make up. So I show up to work Monday morning to start another exciting week (yes, there's some sarcasm in that statement). One of the first things I do when I get to work every day is open up my e-mail. So I opened an e-mail from my company. Let me preface this with how my job works. I am employed by BCE, an engineering company that essentially rents me to the Army Corps of Engineers to do quality assurance on construction projects. So I am not actually employed by the Corps. Anyway, this letter informs me that Monday, that day, is my last day. I'm being laid off. Say what? I print this off and take it to my co-worker, to which he says "say what!?"
We knew this would potentially happen, the contract I am working under expires in May. But we all figured it would be renewed. Perhaps not. Turns out the company I work for is charging the Corps nearly 4 times what they are actually paying me. The Corps has wised up and realized this isn't the best use of tax payer dollars. So they are re-thinking this deal.
So apparently, in an effort to stem the gross expendtiure of money, the Corps told my company they needed to immediately get rid of three people. My name was among the three. So Monday I was told I was done. My company said they were scrambling to fix this and get me back to work, but it would take at least a few days to make it happen. I'd be back next Monday at the earliest. And they would most likely get the contract issue figured out.
So I had Tuesday off. I then decided to make use of an extra ticket on Southwest I had and got a ticket to fly to Dallas to visit Jeff and his family for a few days. I am due to leave Wednesday morning. Tuesday night at 5:30 I get a call from my company telling me they have good news, and bad news. The good news is they want me back tomorrow. The bad news is the contract isn't being renewed, so after May 12th, I don't have a job.
So, now I'm flying to Texas tomorrow. Then when I get back, I go to work for two and a half weeks. Then I hit the unemployment line. Anyone hear of someone getting a job in 3 three weeks these days? Anyone hear of anyone getting a job at all these days? Guess I'll have some free time soon.
To make it more fun, I called one of the guys I work with to tell him I won't be in the rest of the week. He tells me that I wasn't supposed to be one of the ones let go this week, there was a misunderstanding in the main office. So once he and another guy I work with talked to the main guy up there, they realized the mistake and told my company to bring me back. For three weeks.
Whatever.
1 comment:
Sounds government bureaucracy at it's best. So sorry - that really bites. Arizona is just lovely in the summer... come and visit if you're bored. :)
Post a Comment