Sunday, July 17, 2011

Utah trip 2011

I figured what better time to update this than while I'm watching the US women's team in the world cup final. If you haven't seen the highlights of the Brazil game, youtube it. In all the years I've watched sports, that has to be one of the best finishes I've ever seen. Of course, in the moment it was way better to watch, but still, it was incredible.

On to the Utah post. The fam got together the last week of June through the 4th of July. I have determined flying to Utah is detrimental to my health. I got sick. AGAIN! Fortunately, it wasn't the horrid flu I got at Christmas, it was just a cold. But it's still going 2 weeks later. I'm sure it's transitioned into a sinus infection at this point, so I'll get the drugs for that. But still, this is getting old.

Anyway, if this pic doesn't qualify in a "most cutest photo" contest, I don't know what would:
Apparently our intense game of Phase10 pooped Maddox right out. In the middle of all the commotion, he gently laid his head down and went to sleep. It was so cute.

On Thursday, Dad, Jeff, Keyan, Tracen and I played 9 holes of golf. It was really fun to have the 2 boys out there. We picked a pretty difficult course, located in Draper up on the side of the mountain. Here's a view from the first tee:


I didn't do so good, but the others played quite well. Here's Dad taking a swing:

We got lucky that no one was behind us, it allowed us to take our time. It also allowed us to let the boys hit some balls along the way. I think Jeff said it was Keyan's second time on a course, but it was Tracen's first. They both had a ton of fun. Keyan would crack me up because on his putts, he would get down and do what the pros do - scoping the lie and whatnot. I wondered if he really knew the point of squatting behind his ball on the green. But he putted better than all of us, so he must know something. I need to take lessons from a 7 year old :-). Here's Trace taking a shot on the 9th tee:

(and as I typed this, the US just scored on a beautiful play!)

And if you didn't believe me on Keyan's skills, look at this form:

Anyway, we haven't had a chance for a couple of years to get out and play, it's usually a tradition with Dad, Jeff, and I when the whole family is together. So it was fun to have that chance. Jeff and I were a little crazy and got up at 5:30 on Saturday morning to play another 9 holes at a different course. That was fun because we got paired with another brother/sister pair that had the same attitude about playing as Jeff and I do. So we had a good time.

On Thursday, after the golf, the whole family went bowling. I wonder if that bowling alley knew what hit them. We only took 3 lanes, but it was a little bit mayhem. Here's all 900 of us:

Okay, it was only 18 people. But still, that's a lot when of those 18, 7 of them are under the age of 7. Anyway, falling under the "too cute" photo contest, here's Chase checking out the action:Ada showing her skills:


Which she obviously learned from her mother.... nice form Beth:
Kara and Jefferson. Jefferson wanted to bowl for everyone, including the people on the lanes down from ours. He kept us on our toes, that's for sure:

Tracen displaying his patience and urging his ball to move. It stopped mid-roll a couple of times. Slower is better in his world I guess :-).


And Brynna displaying her winning form. I think she beat most of the adults.

All in all, it was good fun. On Friday, we all piled into the cars and headed to the zoo. Other than some kid-scary dinosaur displays, I think it was pretty fun. Here's Grandma with Jefferson and Brynna, looking at the monkeys. I'm thinking Grandma was saying something like "this is how your parents acted when they were your age...". :-)

This elephant thing would spit water out on occassion. Of course, it waited till we all got tired of waiting with our cameras, and then got Jefferson right in the face. He didn't think it was too funny.

Here's Jefferson crinkling his nose at the elephants:

Here's a display of dinosaur items the kids could touch. They seemed to really like it:

It was good times at the zoo, plenty to see. We spent the rest of the trip visiting, doing a Harmon family reunion, and just catching up with everyone. We had a fun time, and look forward to the next gathering.

I was glad to get home, and start recuperating from my cold. It took a good week to finally get all my hearing back, flying with plugged ears is not fun. Work will now be at it's stressful point for me, as we're fully into equipment start-up and closing out the project. I've already had to write a few "love notes", as I call them, to get subs to pull their heads out and realize they need to meet our schedule. My superintendent gets a kick out of them at least. :-) I'm heading to North Carolina for Labor Day weekend to find a place to live, so something to look forward to. The move is still looking like sometime in October.


That will conclude the longest post I think I've ever done. Both in length, and how long it's taken me to do it. An entire soccer game, that's now going to overtime thanks to a brain-fart goal allowed by the US.

2 comments:

jess dixon said...

That picture of Beth is epic...way to go. Also...come back!

Jeff Dixon said...

Love it Kelli. It was awesome to play golf with you and Dad again. Wish we could have all stayed together longer!