Thursday, December 3, 2009

Life in a barracks


I'm not sure what goes on in a barracks building, and I probably don't want to know. But these drawings are pretty neat. As part of the project I'm on, the contractor is going to tear down an old barracks building belonging to the Rangers 2nd Battalion. I walked through the building the other day, and took photos of all the drawings that had been done on the walls. Don't know if I'm allowed to do that, but whatever. Each quadrant of the building belonged to a different squad or platoon, and each has it's own nickname I guess. These are only 4 of the pictures, but it gives you an idea. They're pretty cool.

The one above reminds me of when I was doing a project on the 1st Special Forces compound, and there are wood statues in front of each battallion's building. The one in front of 3rd battalion is an indian holding the head of someone. Our admin thought it was the most heinous thing to have out there. We laughed at her. For other reasons too, not just that.



These guys are deploying this weekend, so I wish them well in whatever they're going to do. You never know with Rangers.

As for my job, as evidenced by my walk-about taking pictures, then posting them here, I'm not doing much. But it's nice, I'm getting used to it. I was telling Karl last night I'm still adjusting to not being able to say much, though I was the only one making comments at our numerous meetings yesterday. They seemed to be well received, which is good. I did manage to ruffle the feathers of one contractor yesterday, but he informed me today he's in the process of quitting smoking, so he asked I bear with him. Whatever works. Anyway, I do enjoy getting home earlier too. We had time to go out to eat, then get home and put up the Christmas tree and other decorations on Tuesday. So we are officially in the sprit of Christmas!

3 comments:

Terrific Thomas' said...

You are way ahead of me on the decorations and I am home all day. Ofcourse I am nervous about Jefferson trying to eat everything, so there is that.

The Lovells said...

those are awesome!

Kelli said...

Don't worry, I worry about Karl eating everything. That's why it's all fake. :-)