I began my new job on Monday. I can now say I work in the land of the lazy - government. It has been a difficult transition so far, in that I want to be busy. I feel like I should be doing things, but I can't. First, the project I got put on is just getting going. So there's not much to look at anyways. Second, I'm not involved in the minutia anymore. I no longer have to worry about getting subs signed up, or submittals in, or coordination done, or work scheduled. I am now merely along for the ride, checking in when I need to. It's taking some serious getting used to. We had a meeting yesterday that I wanted to delve into the details of how the contractor is going to deal with an issue. But I had to repeatedly tell myself to keep quiet. Such is life I suppose. It will get better when the project gets going, and there's more to review and watch. But for now, it's mostly just going out and shootin' the bull with the workers. Which, when I was on the other side, I hated the Corps doing that. Nice, huh?
I've been running into people I've worked with in the past, and it's pretty much no surprise from them that I left. I'd be curious to know what my former office is saying, as I'm sure word is making it's way back by now. I am on a project that is nowhere near my last one, so that's nice. The project they put me on is a $70 million barracks and company operating facility, on a good chunk of property. It's for the Rangers. There are firing ranges right across the street, and an airfield just up the road. So we hear gunfire and helicopters all day. It'll be fun. I'm sure once I get past the initial breaking in period, and learn how to make the most of my days, it will be better.
One thing I do know, I can already tell my stress level is down, and I feel pretty good. So that bodes well for my health. No more ulcers. Please. Hopefully this will encourage my body to relax and let it operate as it's supposed to. And create things it currently doesn't want to create. Could the Dixon family have at least one thing go right in the healthy creation department, please? Just sayin.
Anyway, I was told I could go home already. But for some reason I'm still here. I suppose one more meander around the job site would be warranted. Then I'm off to start relaxing and enjoying the Turkey day festivities. What am I thankful for:
An awesome husband, who puts up with me way more than he should have to
An awesome family, that supports one another through the myriad of trials we are currently going through
A job
Our house
My wonderful friends, who are always good for a laugh
The bits and pieces of my body that do work as they're supposed to
Last, but first, Heavenly Father, for getting us through all the trials and experiences He says we can handle, even if we don't always believe Him.
No comments:
Post a Comment