Monday, January 26, 2009

Thank you

I love the game of basketball. That is no secret, and no surprise to anyone who knows me. It's taken 4-1/2 years for Karl to still not understand the level of that statement. I've played it pretty much my whole life. I coached it for 4 years at the high school level. And I watch it whenever I get the chance. I've met countless other coaches, including some big name ones. I met Geno Auriemma and Roy Williams at a coaching clinic. I met Sheri Coale at a coaching clinic. If I ever have a daughter who is fortunate enough to play college basketball, I hope she chooses wherever Coach Coale is. I got to know the Stanford coaching staff while living in California. And a few years ago, I got to sit on the bench during a game between Stanford and Oregon.

I've been able to witness the growth and development of women's basketball over the years. When I was a little girl, it was common to hear other girls say they were going to be the first woman to play in the NBA. This, of course, because there was no option for women to play professionaly, unless they went overseas. Now, girls don't say, "I want to be like Michael Jordan." They say, "I want to play in the WNBA and be like Diana Taurasi". It is an amazing thing to be able to say our generation is part of this movement.

This past weekend, one of the pioneers of this movement passed away. Kay Yow coached at North Carolina State for longer than I've been alive. While she is not a coach I ever said, "I hope to meet her some day", or ran a program I followed, she is still an inspiration to any female who has ever played sports. She helped pave the way for encouraging girls and women to not only grow to be good people, but grow to be good athletes. Her efforts to make women's sports a norm, rather than a Title IX requirement, is one that should be lauded. She also helped bring to the forefront of all our attentions the battle women face in breast cancer. It is what ultimately took her life.

To Coach Yow, I say thank you for making it possible for me, my sisters, and all other women to play sports in a forum that may not have been possible without your efforts. I also say thank you for making your struggle with cancer known, so more people are aware of the disease, and understanding of how important it is that we address and cure it.

2 comments:

jess dixon said...

WNBA pride! Check this out, go to this link http://www.wnba.com/liberty/schedule/ and wait for #40 Lisa Willis to come up on the screen. SO funny!

The Lovells said...

Amen Sista!