Friday, June 8, 2012

La di da....

It's been a while, and I am trying not to work at work. So I'll catch you up on my goings on. Nothing new to report, I'm still bored as all get out in North Carolina, the job is clicking along, and we are all counting the days till we get to leave. Right now, we're at 4 months. I feel like a kid in October when the JCPenney Christmas catalog comes out and we get to start picking our Christmas gifts. Mine this year is a trip home. For good!

So the last two weeks have been a blur of sorts. For Memorial Day weekend I decided to head south to Georgia. First I headed to Atlanta to see a Braves game. For those not in the know, I have taken to fantasy baseball. First, a friend asked me to join a league she's in. Then one day while talking about it in front of other friends, they decided they wanted to do a league too. Then Emerson asked if I'd join his league. So I'm in three leagues. And as my friend warned, it's a sickness that you get addicted to. I am very addicted. The first thing I do in the morning is check my team's results from the night before. I spend more time than I should during the day reading up and checking out players. I take my iPad with me when I go out to make sure my teams are set before games. And yes, the iPad was purchased with that plan in mind. Like I said, it's a sickness.

So, back to the Braves game. I have never been to Turner Field, it's beautiful. Here's a couple of shots of the main entry.


I have been a Braves fan since high school, they are my favorite National League team. However, fantasy baseball makes you not as concerned with the final score as you are with certain players. Thus I wasn't as concerned that the Braves got trounced as I was happy that the guy who hit the homer was my player! :-) I know the guy sitting next to me was annoyed, because I kept saying this player or that player was mine and needed to get a hit. Then again, he was driving me nuts with his assertion before EVERY single batter that you NEVER swing on the first pitch. Or the second pitch. Not sure how that's wise advice. It doesn't take long for a pitcher to figure that out, then you've got two perfect pitches you're letting go and you're down 2 strikes and have to swing on anything close. Stupid man. Anyway, the highlight of the night was getting to see Bryce Harper hit his 3rd career home run. He's the next big thing, and quite the player. Here's some shots inside the stadium. The second one is Bryce Harper up to bat.
















.









I stayed at a crappy Holiday Inn hotel right next to the park that cost way more than it was worth. They ended up comping me back my dinner because it was so bad and cold by the time it got to my room. But the Atlanta portion of my weekend was good.

I headed to Fort Benning, GA the next morning to spend the day and night with my friend Brenda and her family. I worked with Brenda at Fort Lewis and we have stayed in touch since. Her husband transferred to Benning last summer. It was awesome to see some familiar faces out here. Some other friends came over that I knew at Ft Lewis and had also transferred to Benning, and we all hung out for a BBQ and good fun. I may not be in the Army, but working for Army projects is giving me a wee bit of an idea what it's like to be all over this country. Craziness. Anyway, we had an awesome time and I'm looking forward to my next visit.

I got home Monday evening, went to work Tuesday, then Wednesday morning headed home to Seattle for the weekend. For Wednesday and Thursday, I relaxed, worked in the yard, and ran errands. Then Friday I headed to Seattle for my birthday weekend. I met up with my friends for the customary dinner before Storm games at a place called Buckleys. The Storm royally suck this year, so the game was more about hanging out, seeing people, and having a fun evening. I managed to see a few friends I haven't seen since I left last fall, which was awesome.

After the game, a couple of us went out to just hang and catch up, then I went to my friends' house that I was staying at that night. Saturday morning we all slept in, then they took me out for my birthday breakfast at a place called Hudson's. Crazy good food here! We chilled the rest of the morning, messed with our fantasy baseball of course, then I headed back to Hudson's for my customary lunch before poker with one of my friends. Our little group of friends gets together a lot to play poker, and it's a lot of fun. Being as it was my birthday..... I had a horrible night. The one good hand I got, pocket aces, I lost to a straight flush. Do you know how hard it is to get a straight flush? And I lost to it!!! Lame. Whatever, I had fun. I stayed in Seattle again that night, then headed home Sunday morning to relax the rest of my trip. I headed back to NC on Monday. Here's some parting shots of Seattle and Mt Rainier from the plane (it's behind the clouds, trust me):

So now I'm back at it till June 22nd, when I hop on a plane for home again. Sigh.....

On other notes, the project is moving along. We are actually moving quite fast, which is nice. We are on track to finish on time, yippee!! The topic of conversation is now starting to turn to where the next project is. Given my company doesn't ever tell us anything, we're kind of figuring there's no other projects. So I've started the process of finding another job. Our joint venture company has approached me about coming on with them, which is good. I don't have to totally stress about employment. But it would mean continuing the traveling option, which I am really not a fan of. The two options that have been floated out are in Tuscon or Fort Leonard Wood, MO. Neither are on my list of desired destinations, for anything, let alone work. But, I need a paycheck, so I may be temporarily moving closer to Beth or Jeff :-). Anyways, there's still time, so we'll see what happens. All I know is right now I'm about to head into my super stressful part of the project - close-out. So wish me luck!!

I guess I should stop typing and go do something. I'm sure there's more to share, but it's Friday and my brain is shutting down. So I will go. Hope all is well with everyone!!

1 comment:

The Lovells said...

Tucson would be awesome!!!!!!