Life is funny. You cruise along thinking it’s great, maybe having a struggle here or there. But you know deep down that it really isn’t as bad as it could be. Until something comes along, and it is as bad as it could be. As was the case last week for three different people in my life. Which made last week not a whole lot of fun for anyone involved.
First and foremost to me is Jeff and Alissa, who learned that life can be tricky when it comes to life. Literally. While we can never know Heavenly Father’s plan for us, or those coming into the world, we know He knows who needs to spend some time on earth, and who just needs to say they swung by. Jeff and Alissa are putting their baby in the hands of people who are trained to perform intricate procedures, such as the one Maddox needs. Those people also know it takes a little luck, and assistance from above. I pray all involved are listening tomorrow when the work is done, and decisions made. And that Jeff and Alissa will be well. Regardless, we know Maddox is now part of the family, whether we get to meet him here on earth, or later when we all meet again in heaven.
Our bodies have a funny way of reminding us we’re human. Especially when we’re people that like to go-go-go. I think it’s good to have that attitude, it prevents laziness, and keeps the mind growing. But when our body decides, without consulting our brain, that it needs a break, it tends to do so in ways that aren’t too fun. As is the case with Karl’s Dad. His body decided it needed a break, and found a most rude way to force Doug to take a break. And while it’s a treatable issue, it doesn’t make it any more easy to accept or deal with. His body will get it’s break, but at the expense of driving Doug crazy with the thought that he can’t get up and go-go-go like he likes to. Perhaps that’s a good thing, but I’m sure he would have preferred a less intense reason why.
We all have reason’s to worry, especially about our loved ones. Are they going to get to work okay? Are they going to get to school okay? Did I teach them well enough? Will they handle that struggle in the best way possible? And so on. But to have to worry that your husband is going to survive the day while being the target is one thing no one ever wants to have to deal with. My friend/co-worker’s husband has been in Afghanistan for 6 weeks, on the front lines for three weeks, and has lost 10 men from his battalion in the last two weeks. I know my fear for her. I can’t imagine her fear for her husband. I watch her struggle with the guilt she feels for being glad it wasn’t her husband, and dreading the seeming daily e-mail notifying family members of the battalion that another soldier has died. She talks openly about the fact that her husband may not come home, but she dreads the day the green suits show up on her doorsteps. I pray for these soldiers that they can be as safe as possible, knowing not all will be safe. I pray for the families to be able to handle the stress that comes with having someone over there. Most of all, I know these soldiers and their families are hero’s, and am so grateful they are sacrificing their lives, so I may live mine.
No comments:
Post a Comment